RENOVATION: CREATING OPEN SPACES
This dream home renovation made it to print in The Big Smoke.
Sean and Rachael wanted their home changed to fit their lifestyle, this was a real "lifestyle" renovation. They dreamed of a free-flowing environment with breezes blowing through, lots of open space, sunshine, open access to the pool, a remote parents’ retreat, breathtaking sea views from the bedroom, a natural wood feel especially from the doors and decks, cool in Summer and warm in Winter, casual entertaining areas, a place that unequivocally represented their idea of home.
By looking at every single angle of each aspect of the renovation, we worked together to see where we could get cost savings. This was a focus for us and the client (also - this is something that we do for every client).
- Ran to the outside edge of the rules to push the renovation as far as we could go within a restricted site. Adrian found this to be lots of fun as it was a great challenge.
- Every aspect of the renovation had to add equity to the house, this was a dream home design but in the end it needed to make them money when they sold/ if they sold.
- Regulations said: cannot have a three story house, also, couldn't have a build over 8m tall.
- The house: laundry and garage was one entire level (ground floor) and could not be moved… So we designed the house around this factor!
- Wanted to have family living area on it’s own level (third floor) that is not in regulations.
- The renovation has added significant value to the home, have since sold the home last year to move to a better location and made money on the sale
- Client has asked ARDH to do their next renovation as was so happy with the previous job!
- Every request on the job was completed (including having 3 *unofficial* stories to make the spaces they desired. This was achieved through clever re-jigging of spaces